Tumoek village in Kapkwen location, Kipkelion West constituency, was in shock and mourning after learning that a family of six people had died in a house fire on Sunday night.
Police said they believe a battery explosion started the fire, which was stoked by gasoline from a chainsaw that was inside the home.
A solar panel was supplying power to the batteries.
The patriarch of the house, according to Kericho police, lost his wife, three children, sister, and his brother’s wife in the catastrophe. In a single wood-framed house where the victims were all sleeping.
His two sleeping sons in the separate kitchen home made it out safely.